Quod illi principi …

From “Reflections on the Revolution in France” by Edmund Burke:

Quod illi principi et praepotenti Deo qui omnem hunc mundum regit, nihil eorum quae quidem fiant in terris acceptius quam concilia et coetus hominum jure sociati quae civitates appellantur.

Can anyone tell me what this means or where it is from?

8 Responses to “Quod illi principi …”

1. Saul says:

Hmm, surely it can’t be that noone can translate this “great ancient truth”.

I did have a book of Latin tags and phrases somewhere, which was very useful for this sort of problem:

I’m not sure that it had longer passages in it however. Also, someone’s stolen it from me.

2. Robert Impey says:

Such a source of information is kind of what I would like to build. At least the database structure for such a repository. The idea for Haddock CMS is that it should be easy enough to make a site like that very quickly.

Part of me thinks that blogs and wikis and forums are good enough for this sort of thing and the hard part is getting the people. You don’t need to reinvent the wheel each time. Build a community using “traditional” internet tools.

Then part of me thinks that such thinking is akin to the thinking behind the maxim “when you’ve got a hammer in your hand, screws tend to look like nails.”

3. luka says:

It comes from Cicero, and it means something like: “There is nothing that pleases the principle and allmighty God who oversees this world than those lawful associations of men that are called states.”

4. Jon says:

Many compliments Luka. Burke uses these long Latin passages that are virtually untraceable on Google. So thanks – you have decoded him.

5. Robert Impey says:

The problem that I found with Google when I was searching for this quotation was that it returned nothing but sites that hosted a copy of the whole of “Reflections…”.

6. Ingrid says:

“To the great and all-powerful God who rules this entire universe, nothing is more pleasing than the unions and gatherings of men bound together by laws that are called states”. From Cicero, Dream of Scipio III 5 [13].

That is what the quote means in English, and the translation was found in Blackwell, Romanticism: An Anthology, 4th edition, p.16.

7. Anne says:

Thank you very much Ingrid !